4. Add and Edit Instrument Linkages
Step 1: Select the Table of Contents Section
1. Click on the Table of Contents section that you would like to link an Assessment Instrument.
2. Click on the Instrument Links tab.
3. Click on the Add Instrument Link button.
Step 2: Select the Assessment Instrument
4. Using the Sources column, select the department that contains the appropriate Assessment Instrument.
5. Using the Assessment Instrument column, locate and select the Assessment Instrument you would like to use. Use the Add Selected button, or simply Drag-and-Drop the selection into the Chosen Instrument column.
6. Click Done.
Step 3: Adjust Instrument Settings
Any linked instruments will appear under the Instrument Links tab. To adjust the settings of an instrument:
7. Click the Settings icon associated with it.
8. Select the Submission Type. The Submission Type dictates what section(s) of the portfolio will utilize this particular linked instrument. The Submission Type options are:
- Single Page: a submission from this page will submit ONLY this page.
- Page and Subpages: a submission from this page will submit this page, and all of its subpages.
- Whole Portfolio: a submission from this page will submit all pages in the portfolio.
9. Select whether or not you would like to Warn (the) Student If Late. This feature is only applicable if you have selected a due date.
10. (Optional) Enter the Max # Submissions, Due Date and Cutoff Date.
11. Click the Save Settings button to save any changes that you may have made.
Step 4: Optionally Add a Supplemental Instrument
What is a Supplemental Instrument?
A Supplemental Instrument is a secondary assessment instrument linked to the primary assessment instrument on a Table of Contents section. The Table of Contents section's submission settings (single page, whole portfolio, due date, etc.) and regime (candidate to choose assessor, assessor pool, etc.) selected for the primary instrument will also be applied to the supplemental instrument. However, escalation rules and default notification & release settings will remain instrument-specific.
When students submit this section of the Table of Contents they will ONLY see the primary instrument listed. The Supplemental Instrument will not be displayed to the student during the submission process.
Once the submission is complete, the selected assessor will receive TWO individual assessments: one for the primary instrument and one for the supplemental instrument. When they click on either assessment to assess it, they will be presented with both instruments on the same screen which they can toggle between to complete both assessments together.
Supplemental Instruments can be especially useful if:
- You would like to generate two assessments per submission to the same assessor without requiring the student to submit to both rubrics or use Escalation rules.
- You would like both instruments to appear at the same time when the assessor is assessing the submission.
- You would like to use both a grading instrument (to provide a grade) and a skills instrument (to provide scores on outcomes).
This feature can only be used if the Assessor will be the same for both Assessment Instruments as both Instruments will be presented to the Assessor at the same time.
9. Click on the Add Supplemental Instrument button to add an instrument.
10. Once you've added a Supplemental Instrument, click on the Save Settings button.
1. Using the Sources column, select the department that contains the appropriate Assessment Instrument.
2. Using the Assessment Instrument column, locate and select the Assessment Instrument you would like to use. Use the Add Selected button, or simply Drag-and-Drop the selection into the Chosen Instrument column.
3. Click Done.
The Supplemental Assessment Instrument will use the same link settings as the main instrument (submission type, max # submission, etc.) but will keep its own unique escalation rules (if any) and notify and release options.