Create & Assess a Manual Assignment
Manual Assignments are used to enter scores for student work which may have previously been assessed elsewhere, or is practical work (such as during presentations). When an Assessor creates a Manual Assignment, it bypasses the student submission process, and allows the Assessor to complete the assessment immediately.
In order to create an Assignment, you must first create a Course Group. For information on creating a Course Group, please visit the Create a New Course Group help page.
Step 1: Access Assignments
1. Click on the Main Menu icon.
2. Select Curriculum.
3. Select Assignments.
Step 2: Create Assignment Template
4. Click on the New Assignment button.
5. Select the Manual type of assignment.
6. Enter a Name and Description for the assignment.
7. Select the assessment instrument by clicking on the Choose Instrument button.
8. Select the Course Group from the drop-down menu.
9. Click on the Save Assignment button.
Step 3: Give New Assignment to Group or Subgroup
Once you have saved the assignment, you will be prompted to give the assignment to a group or subgroup. Select the group that you would like to give the assignment:
10. Click the Give Assignment to this Group button.
Step 4: Save Assignment Instance
11. Select the Assessor who will be assessing the work. Typically, the Assessor will be you.
12. Click the Save Assignment Instance button.
Step 5: Send Assignment
After saving the instance, you will be prompted to send the assignment instance. You can also make changes on this screen, and save the instance again.
13. Click Send.
Step 6: Select Student to Assess
14. Select the students that you would like to assess. This list will be generated by the Course Group that owns the assignment.
15. Click Save and Assess.
Step 7: Assess and Comment on Criteria
Once you have decided which performance level will be selected for the criterion,
16. Click on the Performance Level to select it. Once selected, it will appear in green.
17. Enter a Criterion-Specific comment.
18. Alternatively, use the Comment Suggestions feature. This feature will provide you with previous comments left on this criterion when the same performance level was selected, as well as your most frequent comments across all criteria and instruments.
If you are using the Comment Suggestions feature,
19. Select whether you would like to view Criterion Comments OR Frequent Comments.
20. Use the Arrows to move through the available comments.
21. When you see the comment that you would like to apply, click on it.
Step 8: Leave an Overall Comment
Scroll to the bottom of the screen,
22. Enter an Overall Comment for the assessment.
Step 9: Set Notify & Release Options
Administrators have the ability to lock their own selections in place, disabling Assessors from making changes to the Notify & Release Options. You will still see which options are selected, but will not be able to make different selections.
23. Select the Notify options:
- Yes: If you choose to notify the student, an email will be sent to alert them of the completed assessment. If you have also chosen to release the results, the student will be able to view the completed assessment from the My Results screen.
- No: You can also choose not to notify the student, which means they will not receive an email when the assessment is completed.
- Notify only When Results Released: This option should be selected if you do not want to notify the student that the assessment is completed until you decide to release the results. In this case, you would be selecting to hold the results of the assessment as well. Only when the results are released will the student be notified of the completed assessment.
- Notify after Final Escalation Level Complete: This option should be select if the student's work will be sent through escalation, and you would not like for them to see their score until all assessments in the escalation process have been completed.
24. Select the Release options:
- Immediately: If this option is selected, clicking the Save button, will trigger the release of the completed assessment results. Students will be able to access their results from the My Results screen immediately.
- Never: This option will prevent students from ever seeing the results of the assessment .
- Held until released: This option will prevent the results of the completed assessment from being released when completed and will hold the results on your Unreleased Assessments screen until you decide to release them.
- After final escalation level complete: This option will release the results when the final level of escalation for the instrument has been completed.
Step 10: Save Assessment
25. Click on the green Save button to save the assessment.
If you have not finished the assessment but would like to save your progress, use the Save as Draft option, instead.
A message will appear in green to indicate that the assessment has been saved, and provide you with the final score.