Compress a Video to Reduce the File Size (Mobile Device)
Video files are, by nature, larger than most other file types that you would upload to Chalk & Wire. This larger file size equates to longer upload times, which is what opens the window for issues to arrise during the upload process (internet connection issues, bandwidth issues, etc.). To reduce the time it takes for a video file to upload to the internet we recommend that you reduce its size by compressing it first. This lesson will show you how to compress your video file into a smaller and more manageable format on your mobile device.
Although you can upload a video to Chalk & Wire that is up to 500MB in size, we recommend that you compress your video to a size no larger than 150MB to reduce the likelihood of upload issues. The larger the file, the higher the probability that you could experience Internet connectivity or bandwidth issues while uploading to the Internet.
Since Chalk & Wire does not provide video compression tools, we recommend specific apps depending on the type of device that you are using. The suggested options for both Apple and Android devices are free to download and use.
Select the type of device that you are using below:
This help page will walk you through the process of compressing a video that was taken using your iPhone, iPod or iPad. The compression process will minimize both the size and quality of your video, while maintaining a high enough quality for you to upload it to Chalk & Wire.
The free application that we recommend will only process videos up to 10 minutes in length. If you require additional time, you might consider splitting the video before running it through the compression app.
Step 1: Download Video Compressor Application
1. In the Apple App Store, search for the free Video Compressor application.
2. Download, and then open the application.
Step 2: Select Compression Option
3. Select the compression option.
We recommend first selecting the 720p method, as it will maintain the highest quality level.
Step 3: Select Video
Your screen will display all of the folders that are contained within your iPhone, iPod, or iPad's photo library.
4. Select the Videos folder.
5. In the Videos folder, select the appropriate video.
Step 4: Start Compression
6. Review the video using the slider at the top of the screen.
Once you are ready to compress the file:
7. Click Choose.
8. The video's compression progress will appear near the bottom of the screen.
Step 5: View Compressed Video Size
Once the video compression has finished a pop-up window will appear.
9. Review the "Original" vs. "Compressed" file sizes.
10. Select whether or not you would like to delete the original video file. Click Delete to remove the file, or Cancel to keep the file.
Step 1: Download Video Compress Application
1. In the Play Store, search for the free Video Compress application.
2. Click Install.
Step 2. Select Video
3. Select the Camera folder.
4. Select the video.
Step 3: Compress Video
5. Select the Compress option.
6. Select the Video Quality (Recommended selection: Good)
7. Click Compress.
Step 4: View Compressed Video Size
The video's compression progress will appear on the screen.
8. Review the video's "Original" vs. "New Size".
NOTE: Although you can upload a video to Chalk & Wire that is up to 500MB in size, we would recommend that you compress your video to a size no larger than 150MB to reduce the likelihood of upload issues. The larger the file, the higher the probability that you could experience Internet connectivity or bandwidth issues while uploading to the Internet.
If the "New Size" is larger than 500MB you will need to compress your video again by selecting the Low or Lowest Video Quality option.
Step 5: Share Compressed Video
Once the video compression has finished you will see a video player option appear.
9. Click Share if you wish to share the video (i.e. send via email or upload to Dropbox, Google Drive, etc).
This option will allow you to then download and open the compressed video on a computer for further editing or upload to Chalk & Wire.
You will then be provided with all sharing options. Select the desired option.
Step 6. Upload Compressed Video
You also have the option to upload your video directly to your Chalk & Wire account from your mobile device. To do this, log into your Chalk & Wire account on your mobile device by using the browser application.
10. After selecting the Upload New File option in Chalk & Wire, select the All Files option on your mobile device.
11. Select the SuperVideoCompressor folder and then select the compressed video file.