4. Add and Edit Instrument Linkages
Step 1: Select the Table of Contents Section
1. Click on the Table of Contents section that you would like to link an Assessment Instrument.
2. Click on the Instrument Links tab.
3. Click on the Add Instrument Link button.
Step 2: Select the Assessment Instrument
4. Using the Sources column, select the department that contains the appropriate Assessment Instrument.
5. Using the Assessment Instrument column, locate and select the Assessment Instrument you would like to use. Use the Add Selected button, or simply Drag-and-Drop the selection into the Chosen Instrument column.
6. Click Done.
Step 3: Adjust Instrument Settings
Any linked instruments will appear under the Instrument Links tab. To adjust the settings of an instrument:
7. Click the Settings icon associated with it.
8. Select the Submission Type. The Submission Type dictates what section(s) of the portfolio will utilize this particular linked instrument. The Submission Type options are:
- Single Page: a submission from this page will submit ONLY this page.
- Page and Subpages: a submission from this page will submit this page, and all of its subpages.
- Whole Portfolio: a submission from this page will submit all pages in the portfolio.
9. Select whether or not you would like to Warn (the) Student If Late. This feature is only applicable if you have selected a due date.
10. (Optional) Enter the Max # Submissions, Due Date and Cutoff Date.
11. Click the Save Settings button to save any changes that you may have made.
Step 4: Optionally Add a Supplemental Instrument
What is a Supplmental Instrument?
A Supplemental Instrument is an Assessment Instrument which can be added to the main linked instrument. When using a Supplemental Instrument, the student will make one submission resulting in two assessments (one for the main Instrument, one for the Supplemental Instrument).
Once the submission has occurred, the Assessor to whom the Student submitted will see two pending assessments within their account which they may assess as they normally would. When assessing one of the pending assessments, the other will appear at the top of the screen for easy access. The Assessor may toggle between the two, and save when they have finished assessing.
Escalation rules and default notification & release settings will remain instrument-specific. The only settings that will apply to both instruments are the linkages settings on the Table of Contents’ linkages page.
Supplemental Instruments can be especially useful if:
- You would like multiple assessments per submission without the use of Escalation
- You would like to use both a grading instrument (to provide a grade) and a skills instrument (to provide scores on outcomes).
9. Click on the Add Supplemental Instrument button to add an instrument.
10. Once you've added a Supplemental Instrument, click on the Save Settings button.
1. Using the Sources column, select the department that contains the appropriate Assessment Instrument.
2. Using the Assessment Instrument column, locate and select the Assessment Instrument you would like to use. Use the Add Selected button, or simply Drag-and-Drop the selection into the Chosen Instrument column.
3. Click Done.
The Supplemental Assessment Instrument will use the same link settings as the main instrument (submission type, max # submission, etc.) but will keep its own unique escalation rules (if any) and notify and release options.